Ankle braces are not only a great supportive gear for amateur and professional athletes but also a must-have item during post-operative or injury-related ankle recovery. Besides proper medication, it is the only tool that can make your journey to complete recovery real smooth. But, people often face great confusion while choosing the right ankle braces. And for that, we will guide you through each of the necessary steps to get the best ankle braces for your specific need.
Types of Ankle Braces
There are two main ways by which we can differentiate the types of ankle braces. We can clearly segment the ankle braces according to their rigidity as well as the support it can provide. According to the rigidity, there are two types of ankle braces that are rigid braces and semi-rigid braces. And according to the support, it can be divided into three categories that are mild, moderate, and maximum support.
Let’s first take a look at the types of ankle braces depending on their rigidity.
Rigid braces: Most of the rigid braces are made of hard plastic shells and Velcro straps. It provides a secure yet custom fit that is ideal if you need heavy support, such as during your post-operative recovery. While most of these braces have foam padding, there are plenty now also available that are filled with air pockets for more comfort. These braces are also quite thick and heavy and will not fit inside your shoes.
Semi-rigid braces: most of the semi-rigid braces are actually lace-up braces that can easily fit inside your shoe. These braces are specially designed to restrict your ankle for getting further injuries. It also provides mild to moderate support but is not at all good for use during injury recovery. These braces are also extremely lightweight and easy to clean. However, some of the semi-rigid braces nowadays have hybrid designs with thick medial and lateral support.
Now, let’s take a look at all the three types of ankle braces depending on the support they provide.
Mild support braces: It is ideal for light strains and first-degree ankle pains. These braces are extremely lightweight but provide very light supports that are ideal for daily activities. You can also use these ankle braces inside your shoe. Most of the athletes use these braces to ensure additional support.
Moderate support braces: It will be better for you to use these braces if you are extremely prone to ankle injuries and twists. These braces provide added stability to minimize the chance of ankle pains and strains. However, these braces are a bit heavy than the regular braces and can be a little difficult for using inside your shoes.
Maximum support braces: These kinds of ankle braces completely restrict the mobilization of your ankle joint while providing optimum support. It is ideal for post-operative recovery as well as injury support. Most of the doctors and healthcare professionals prescribe these braces to their patients with third-degree ankle pains.
Best Brands of Ankle Braces
There are now several brands available online as well as offline markets that produce good quality ankle braces. But, choosing a brand that provides the best efficiency in a budget price can be a painstaking task. And for that, here are some of the best brands that you can choose from.
ASO: Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, ASO has already proved its worth in the ankle support industry since its inception. It is now known for manufacturing some of the best ankle braces that are globally available. Besides, these braces are now trusted by more than 250 college and professional teams worldwide.
Sleeve Stars: Two enthusiastic people from Sweden, Christoffer and Alexandra Burman, first started this company that later made its footprint in the United States. And now, this company makes ankle braces that comply with the strict parameters of the FDA. This family-owned brand now has its presence in Europe and Canada as well.
McDavid: Known for manufacturing some of the most stylish ankle braces, this company has its legacy since 1969 when Dr. Robert F. McDavid Jr. first started producing braces. And now, it has established itself as a market leader. Currently headquarters in Southern California, this company now has its footprints in Europe, Canada, and Japan.
Bracoo: Combining the finest material with innovative technology, this company started to manufacture best ankle braces since its inauguration that provides maximum support to its thousands of customers. All of their products go through a unique ‘feedback-test-learn’ loop that assures the highest quality standard and custom support.
Liomor: It is one of the best manufacturers of the ankle braces that has a full money-back guarantee for each of their products. However, this company only operates through its online shop at Amazon and doesn’t have any physical outlet yet. This company also assures its customers that their ankle braces will surely meet the expectation of their customers.
Crucial Compression: This family-owned brand has made its reputation for manufacturing some of the best ankle braces available on the global market. Made of highest-quality material with the mix of state-of-the-art technology, this company sets its mission to create the best support your ankle can get. These braces also come with a complete money-back guarantee.
SENTEQ: Headquartered in Taiwan, this company has a long history since 1987. And now, this company produces some of the best ankle braces that not only meet the expectation of the customers but also fulfill all the criteria of the FDA. They now deliver their neoprene-based support braces to all over the world.
PowerLix: Jennifer first started this company with the goal of producing the best braces for the United States. However, this company now has a global presence and has a great line of products. Besides, it has grown as a company having a team of engineers from just a family-owned business.
Save Yourself from Buying Wrong Ankle Braces
Chances are high that you will end up buying wrong braces for your ankle, especially if you don’t consult a doctor or healthcare professional. However, you can be picky and choose the right ankle brace if you concentrate on certain factors before buying one. And, here are four main things that you should consider to save yourself from buying wrong ankle braces:
Sleeves: It is one of the most important factors that you should consider before buying an ankle brace. A good and long sleeve can provide mild to moderate support in injury management. Besides, it also restricts your movement a little so that you won’t suffer from unintentional twists. However, sleeves are not found in heavy braces.
Straps: Brace straps, often called as blinders, are the part that goes around your ankle in an eight-shape like a bandage. Depending on the thickness and length of the straps, ankles braces can provide mild to heavy support. Having longer straps also ensure better stability although it makes it difficult to use it inside your shoes.
Lace-ups: Most of the braces that feature a classic design have lace-up functionality. It not only assures better support but and also provide ample stability. These laces are primarily made of hard materials and can vary depending on the type of rigidity you need. So, if you want rigid support that will completely block the movement of your ankle, then only go for this type.
Hybrids: This is a relatively new player in the ankle support market that puts sleeve and lace-up together to ensure better stability without harming the rigidity factor. But, don’t go for these types of ankle braces without consulting a healthcare professional or doctor as most of the hybrid ankle braces are specially designed to fulfill the needs of targeted problems.
And finally, we came up with the list of best ankle braces available online. Take a look.
Best Ankle Braces
Here are some of the best ankle braces for you by the BracesBox website.
|1||ASO Ankle Stabilizer||Med Spec|
|2||Ankle Support Compression Brace||Bracoo|
|3||Professional Plantar Fasciitis Foot Sleeve||Sleeve Stars|
|4||Breathable Ankle Support||Liomor|
|5||Compression Support Sleeve||PowerLix|
|6||Compression Ankle Brace||SENTEQ|
|7||Ankle Support Sleeve||Crucial Compression|
|8||Professional Foot Sleeve Pair||Gonicc|
|9||199 Lace up Ankle Brace||McDavid|
|10||Plantar Fasciitis Socks||CompressionZ|
ASO Ankle Stabilizer by Med Spec – durable ankle braces available
The sole choice of more than 250 colleges and pro-teams, the ASO Ankle Stabilizer by Med Spec is exclusively manufactured in the US to maintain the high-quality standards. One of the most recommended ankle braces by the American athletic trainers, the ASO also gained trusts of numerous orthopedic doctors and physical therapists.
Moreover, the unique combination of comfort and durability maintained its most-preferred status all over the United States. And in addition to that, the stabilizing straps of ASO provide optimum support while giving supreme comfort due to its invisible seam.
The main body of the ASO ankle support is made of an appropriate proportion of cotton and nylon to give maximum comfort possible. Besides, the specially contoured tongue is made of the CoolFlex material which provides added durability while being super light-weight. The premium inner lining is also infused with CoolFlex which offers maximum support to the Achilles area.
- Most advised ankle support: Recommended by countless numbers of Doctors and Trainers
- Premium quality: Medical Specialties Inc. maintained the optimum US standard while manufacturing it
- CoolFlex technology: The primary material of ASO is engineered to give maximum support and comfort
- Exceptionally durable: The ballistic nylon boot in the outer part gives it superior strength and durability
- Enhanced Support: The elastic cuff closure provides added support besides securing the stabilizing straps
- Invisible inner seam: To provide supreme comfort without negotiating its strength
- Specially designed straps: The nylon stabilizers restricts the twisting motion of the ankle
Ankle Support Compression Brace by Bracoo – athlete-friendly
Specially engineered ankle support compression brace by Bracoo comes with an open-heel design which enables it for a broader range of motion. Besides, the design provides excellent support to the ankle which also makes it one of the best ankle braces for pain-related issues. Moreover, the high-grip Velcro straps can be attached anywhere in the entire sleeve in a crisscross manner to provide customized tightness for individual needs.
Ideal for protecting your injured tendons, this ankle brace comes handy if you have any inflammation or ligament sprain. In like manner, the main sleeve is breathable to ensure adequate air circulation.
The ankle brace is made of supreme quality latex-free synthetic rubber, Neoprene, which provides an unmatched fitting. Besides, the material is also a great thermal insulator, which in turn keeps the injured region moderately warm for better blood circulation. The compression strap is also durable and comes with premium quality Velcro straps for customized pressure.
- Athlete-friendly design: The state of the art open-heel design enables a broader range of motion
- Greater Stability: The complete compression provides the best stability to the Achilles tendon and plantar flexion
- A must-need in injury: Aids muscle oxygenation for the accelerated tissue recovery
- Excellent thermal insulator: To ensure the affected area stays warm for better blood circulation
- Ideal for arthritic pain: Protects sensitive tendons while reducing the inflammation
- Extremely breathable: To provide maximum air circulation so that you can wear it throughout the day
- Boosts natural recovery: Restores the localized blood circulation for a faster recovery
Professional Plantar Fasciitis Foot Sleeve by Sleeve Stars – Best ankle braces with an extra compression strap
The specially designed professional plantar fasciitis foot sleeve by Sleeve Stars can maximize your sports performance due to its unique compression system. In addition to that, the whole body of the ankle sleeve is made in a sock-style manner which is really easy to wear. The premium quality also ensures that it retains its original shape even after using it for a long time.
Comes with an extra compression strap, this sleeve fulfills the need for perfect support to the ankle joint while giving adequate comfort. And without any doubt, the universal size of this $13.95 budget-friendly product makes it an ideal choice for the family use.
The main sleeve is made of the highest quality fabric to ensure its compression ability while giving superior comfort. Besides, the fabric can absorb moisture to provide you a sweat-free training or sports session. The premium quality inner fabric also keeps your feet odor-free even after using it for a longer period. And the Velcro strap that comes free with this sleeve is exceptionally wash-friendly and durable.
- Sleek design: You can wear it inside your favorite pair of sport shoes
- Absorbs sweat: The premium quality fabric keeps the feet dry and odor-free
- Extra compression strap: To fulfill your need for perfect ankle support during sports activity
- Speed up recovery: Helps to improve blood circulation around the injured region for a shorter recovery period
- Ultimate comfort: The inner texture provides a soft-touch feel in your ankle
- Unisex model: The all-black sporty look is perfect for both male and female
- One-Year Warranty: Hassle-free no-question return/refund policy
Breathable Ankle Support by Liomor – Best anti-odor ankle braces available online
The premium fabric of the breathable ankle support by Liomor single-handedly ensures the optimum US standard for domestic customers. The same way, the material also ensures that your feet remain odor and itch-free. In like manner, the crisscross reinforcement straps provide excellent stability for the ankle joint to quicken the recovery process.
Besides, the open-heel design allows a versatile array of motion during sports activities. Needless to say, the premium quality Velcro straps used in this product is extremely durable while providing maximum support to your ankle ligaments.
This breathable ankle support is made of highly elastic SBR, extremely lightweight nylon, and superior quality lycra to make it amazingly durable for long-term use. Besides, the inner layer is formed of moisture-wicking fabric to ensure proper oxygen circulation to keep your feet cool and dry during activities, even on a sunny day.
- Enhanced support: The crisscross straps provide stability to the ankle tendons
- Anti-Odor and Anti-Itch technology: Prevent bacteria and eliminate bad odor
- Premium Interlayering: The perforation design ensures proper air circulation
- Minimize the risk of injury: Restricts the twisting motion of the ankle while playing or training
- Improves the ankle health: Intelligently designed to improve arthritis and tendonitis conditions
- Unimaginably affordable: The $9.99 price of this ankle support brace is suitable for budget-conscious citizens
- Lifetime warranty for the US customers: Comes with 100% money back or replacement guarantee
Compression Support Sleeve by PowerLix – 4-way compression sleeve
The ergonomically designed compression support sleeve by PowerLix comes with a unique 4-way stretching technology that offers ankle joint support beyond your expectation. Besides, the sock-style design and the premium quality material offer a great combination of comfort and compression.
By giving a tight-hold to your ankle ligaments for reducing the chance of twisting, it will give you the confidence to push yourself to the limit during activities. Moreover, the price tag of $19.99, that too for a pair, will definitely win your heart if you compare its price to its quality.
The compression Support Sleeve is made of premium quality fabric which is specially knitted to support its unique 4-way stretching capability. Besides, the breathable fabric also absorbs sweat and gives a soft feeling even after wearing them all day long. Interestingly, the high-performance material keeps an optimal temperature to the ankle joints to ensure better blood circulation.
- Unique 4-way stretching: To provide full protection for the entire range of motion
- Specially knitted: Intelligently knitted to align with the ankle ligaments
- High absorption: Quickly absorbs sweat thus eliminating the chance of bad odor
- Trendy look: The vivid colors can be a great match for your trendy shoes
- The perfect fit for any movement: The elastic quality of the fabric ensures a wide array of movements
- Soft feeling: The inner part is specially designed to give a mild feeling in the injured area
- 6-Month guarantee: Comes with a 100% money back policy
Compression Ankle Brace by SENTEQ – medical-grade ankle braces for arthritis
The medical-grade compression ankle brace by SENTEQ is approved by the FDA as a class one medical device. Moreover, every SENTEQ product comes through meticulous quality control which ensures its standard. This Easy to wear ankle brace provides excellent support to promote healing and reduce swelling, which also makes it the best osteoarthritis ankle brace available online.
In addition, it restricts the free movement of the ankle joint to prevent lateral and collateral ligament injury. Besides, the $15.99 price, that too for an FDA approved piece, makes it a clear choice for budget-conscious citizens.
This compression ankle brace is made of superior quality neoprene material which keeps the ankle dry and odor-free even after a long day of use. Besides, the elastic property of the material provides an excellent fit for optimum support. Moreover, the waterproof feature of this brace gives you confidence in water sports. Needless to say, the perfect blend of material and intelligent stitching makes it a buy-now product.
- Water Resistant: Makes it an excellent choice for water or outdoor activities
- FDA approved: Ensures its medical grade and optimum quality
- Premium material: Specially engineered moisture-wicking material ensures a dry fit
- Superior ankle support: A great choice for high impact activities such as running or skating
- Maintains temperature: The unique multi-hole design automatically adjust the body temperature
- Easy to wear: The no-lace no-strap design makes it really wear-friendly
- Excellent craftsmanship: SENTEQ is ensuring its quality standards for US customers since 1987
Ankle Support Sleeve by Crucial Compression – braces for ankle swelling
The specially designed ankle support sleeve by crucial compression comes with Power Support and ComfortFlex technology which provides perfect fitting while maintaining necessary compression. Moreover, the premium quality fabric makes it one of the most amazing sock-style ankle braces you can get in 2018.
Besides, it also lets you have an odor-free ankle due to its moisture absorption technology. The double stitching and premium quality rubber in both the ends also ensures that it won’t lose its compression over an extended period of time. And lastly, the money-back policy puts a cherry on the top.
The Crucial Compression ankle support sleeve is made of premium quality Nylon, Spandex, and Rubber. The inner fabric comes with the ComfortFlex design which provides an excellent fit. Besides, the material is also moisture-wicking and thin enough to wear it inside shoes. In addition, the fabric maintains an adequate temperature to quicken the recovery process.
- Superior ComfortFlex design: Provides an ergonomic fit while maintaining blood circulation
- Double stitching: Ensures the longevity and optimum compression even after a long period of use
- Lasting pain relief: Reduce fatigue by providing excellent vascular support
- Optimum compression: To reduce swelling and ankle discomfort
- Power Support technology: Prevents twisting motion to reduce the chance of injury
- Moisture absorption: The supreme quality fabric ensures a sweat and odor-free feet
- No-question money-back policy: Comes with a 100% fit guarantee
Professional Foot Sleeve Pair by Gonicc – ankle braces for stabling ligaments
The specially engineered professional foot sleeve pair by Gonicc provides enough compression to the ankle joint to maximize the required support for heavy activities. As it comes in a pair of sleeves along with a bonus pair of straps, the sleeve itself can be an excellent choice as an ankle sports brace.
The sleeves are moderately thin to fit inside your favorite pair of sports shoes. Besides, the unique support system also prevents ankle twists while boosting the blood circulation in the ligaments. Without any doubt, this sleeve is one of the best sock-style ankle braces you can find for your sporting needs.
The entire sleeve of this product is made of premium quality fabric which is a combination of 60% Nylon, 30% Latex, and 10% Polyester. The specially designed stitching style also provides maximum air circulation thus ensuring a sweat-free ankle. Besides, the material also has sufficient elasticity to provide greater compression in the ankle joints.
- Prevents ankle sprains: Restricts the bending motion of ankle for post-injury support
- Moisture-wicking material: Comes with breathable and lightweight material
- Plantar Fasciitis pain relief: Helps to reduce any ankle-related pains
- Normalizes blood circulation: Proper blood circulation means faster recovery
- Extra Compression Strap: In case if you need some added pressure in your joints
- Lifetime warranty: ASAP replacement in quality-related issues
The 199 Lace up Ankle Brace by McDavid – The trendiest one
The stylish looking 199 lace up ankle brace by McDavid introduces three new technologies to make it a perfect mix of fashion and performance. Firstly, the double-layer mesh provides adequate ventilation while making it durable. Secondly, the lining comes with moisture management pads which ensure better sweat absorption. And lastly, the level-3 protection technology ensures maximum safety.
Besides, it also comes with medical-grade spring steel support to give maximum security, even in heavy injuries. Needless to say, this is probably the most fashionable looking ankle braces available right now.
The 199 ankle brace is made of premium quality two-layer polyester-vinyl mesh which provides adequate air circulation. Moreover, the joint segment of this ankle brace is intelligently stitched to provide proper arch support. Besides, the moisture absorption system in the lining and ventilated tongue makes it one of the most breathable ankle stabilizers.
- Level-3 Protection: Ensures safety while giving maximum support
- 2-Layer Mesh: Maintains excellent air circulation while ensuring durability
- HydraVent hDc technology: Lining comes with moisture management technology
- Maximum ankle safety: Equipped with medical-grade spring steel in the ankle joint
- Enhance performance: Prevents the twisting and bending motion of the ankle
- Superior look: Comes with a premium finish and classic McDavid brand logo
- Sewn-in support: Intelligently sewed to give maximum arch support
Plantar Fasciitis Socks by CompressionZ – best multipurpose ankle braces available in 2020
The premium quality plantar fasciitis socks by CompressionZ helps in acute pains from Achilles tendonitis, heel spurs, and edema. It improves blood circulation thus ensuring faster recovery even for your serious injuries. Besides, it also reduces ankle swelling after twists or bends during your training or running.
Moreover, the adequate compression capability of this product makes it a great replacement for compression ankle braces for arthritis. And the vibrant colors make it the most popular choice as a fashionable youth ankle brace, especially among ladies.
This ankle sleeve is made of a premium quality flexible material which provides adequate comfort while keeping your feet dry even on sunny days. Besides, the moisture-wicking material is also anti-microbial, anti-odor, and anti-itch to make you feel comfortable even after wearing it for a long time. And, the bold color of it gives a brilliant look.
- Relieves ankle pains: Reduces swelling and improves blood circulation
- Provides Achilles tendon support: Enough compression to ensure best ankle support
- Replacements for night splints: Provides the same compression while being much more comfortable
- Increases athletic performance: Gives you the confidence to use your ankles freely without the worry of twisting
- Relieve edema: Excellent in medical conditions related to ankle
- Multiple color options: Comes in many vibrant colors
- Money-back guarantee: Comes with 30-day no-question return/refund policy
Statistics and researches backing the use of ankle braces
Ankle braces are genuinely beneficial in case you are already suffering from foot pains. It becomes even more advantageous if you are intending to start gymming or running. As a matter of fact, ankle braces provide adequate protection not just during your training but also during your daily activities. It limits the chance of pains and sprains and restricts the vulnerable movements like twists.
In 2014, the American Podiatric Medical Association conducted a survey on 1,000 US adults aged 18 or more from all the corners of the nation. Surprisingly, 77% of them reported that they had experienced foot pains. Moreover, 39% of them admit that they would have exercised more if they weren’t suffering ankle pains. Last but not the least, 41% of people participating in the survey said that they would have engaged in more activities if they had not suffered from a foot or ankle related issues.
And, it is now scientifically proven that the regular use of ankle braces or ankle compression sleeves help to reduce sustaining pains while also ensuring less chance of future injuries. So basically, by using ankle braces, you are limiting the odds of ligament and joint damages during activities.
FAQ Regarding ankle braces
How do ankle braces work?
The primary goal of ankle braces is to provide the required protection to your ankle joints and ligaments for various reasons, ranging from minor pains to post-surgical rehabilitation. Besides, the compression force generated by ankle braces reduces swelling and inflammation by maintaining adequate blood flow in the affected area. In addition, the ankle brace also provides structural support during heavy activities, such as running or playing.
We often see our favorite athletes train while putting tapes in the vital muscles to reduce the chance of ligament injury. And, ankle joints can be an excellent replacement for the tapes which are much less comfortable than the braces. Ankle braces create the same effect as muscle tapes but with better functionality that comes with far more durability.
Who should wear ankle braces?
We typically see basketball shoes with higher ankle sleeves, such as your favorite pair of Air Jordan which takes good care of your ankle and feet when you hit the arena. Besides, rugged high-ankle shoes such as a pair of Timberland can provide adequate ankle support during hiking. But if you need extra ankle compression to prevent the bending or twisting motion during sports activities, ankle supports and braces can ensure the proper protection.
Besides being used as a shield for your feet, ankle braces also help to get rid of ankle pains and strains by reducing the swelling and maintaining the required blood circulation. It gives a compression effect bundled with heat insulation to aid the recovery from several ankles related issues such as plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis, edema, and heel spurs.
Which are the best ankle braces?
Firstly, if you are worried about how to get premium quality ankle support with ease, Amazon can be your online ankle brace shop which will deliver right in your doorstep in the quickest possible time. And secondly, to help you find the right ankle brace for your specific needs, our research team tried and tested a thousand different varieties of ankle braces from the house of numerous brands available in the US.
The ultimate buyer’s guide for choosing best ankle braces
Medical practitioners, trainers, and coaches always give the advice to use ankle braces or compression sleeves during sports of any other heavy activities. Besides, it is also recommended to use it if you are suffering from any kind of ankle or foot-related pains. Ankle support systems can benefit us in several different ways, so it is better to have one before it is too late.